Wednesday, January 5, 2022

1,000 Hours Outside - End Of Year Recap

Here we are at the end of our 1,000 Hours Outside challenge.  We lost our way a bit during the last couple months, but I know the kids still spent a lot more time outside this year than they have in the past.

We spent the end of October away from home on vacation.  I guessed the amount of time the kids probably spent outside with my parents while Noah and I were in Arizona.  The weather here in Michigan turned cold while we were away and I had to start bundling up the kids to send them outside.  Between the cold weather, the kids being sick, and just life in general, we somehow lost momentum with spending time outside.  The kids got sick again for a week and a half over Christmas which put another hold on spending time outside.

Despite the vacation and sickness, I think we still managed to spend a good amount of time outside this year.  Here are the monthly totals.

January: 9.15 hours

February: 6.85 hours

March: 33 hours

April: 30 hours

May: 58 hours

June: 52 hours

July: 64 hours

August: 56 hours 15 minutes

September: 74.5 hours

October: 42 hours

November: 25 hours

December: 11 hours

Total time spent outside in 2021: 461 hours and 45 minutes.



I didn't really expect we would reach 1,000 hours by the end of the year, but I am really impressed with what we achieved!  Especially with how many hours we accumulated in September, a month that usually brings on the beginning of cold weather turned into an extra month of summer for us!  This post from the 1,000 Hours Outside Facebook page was especially encouraging for those who didn't reach 1,000 Hours.


I don't think I'll be tracking our time outside again this year.  I have other things I want to focus on (such as a bigger garden this summer and crocheting a temperature blanket for the year) but I am going to make sure to shoo the kids outside when the weather is acceptable for spending time outdoors.



No comments: