Friday, April 2, 2021

Cooking At Home - Volume Seven

This was not a stellar week for meals.  I was tired, not feeling well, and stressed about a doctor appointment for Adeline.

The three or four weeks since this one have been a struggle too.  I hit a wall with adjusting to managing so many day-to-day household things on my own since Noah started his new job, and then talking on the phone numerous times trying to navigate a change in Adeline's medical treatment, trying to handle Adeline's hormonal mood swings, and just feeling so overwhelmed and worn out I can't think straight.

A couple days ago I sat down and tried to figure out ways to make my day-to-day duties easier, meal planning being one of them.  I think I figured out some handy changes that will lessen my mental burden a little more so I'm hoping things will start to improve going forward.



Even during this abysmal week I somehow made it work and we still had something to eat every day.





Breakfast

I honestly don't remember if we really ate for breakfast what was written on the menu.  I did manage to make pancakes for breakfast on Saturday though.


Lunch

I didn't really write down anything for lunch this week.  I made some Irish soda bread one day, we had scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, fruit, vegetables, and whatever else was around that I could throw together quickly.  I regretted not planning more ahead of time, but I honestly did not have the mental energy to get my act together this week.


Dinner

On Monday we had biscuit breakfast sandwiches.  I baked biscuits and some breakfast sausage patties in the oven, scrambled some eggs on the stove, and put together some veggies to have on the side.  I quite liked baking the sausage patties rather than cooking them on the stove.  It was certainly less messy.


I've been experimenting with homemade chicken tenders lately.  First I marinated them in the shawarma marinade from the recipe below.


Then I coated them in flour and baked them in the oven.  We ate them as wraps with hummus, lettuce, chipotle mayonnaise, and whatever else we wanted.  The flour coating didn't become crispy like I anticipated it would, but the chicken was still delicious.

Next we had another pretty easy meal.  I cooked some brats and onions in the oven, pasta on the stove, made some white sauce, and mixed everything together with a salad on the side.

On Saturday we had leftovers for lunch and Noah made "pigs in a blanket" with Adeline for dinner.  It was a fun meal we don't normally have.  We also had some roasted cabbage and more veggies on the side.


Even though it was a rough week and maybe we didn't make the most amazing food, everyone was well fed and taken care of.  Really, that's all that matters.



No comments: