Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Kitchen Rug Project

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing!

It's true.  I have never ever woven (weaved?) anything before.  I've done plenty of other crafty things, but never weaving.

Why have I suddenly taken up weaving?  I would like to have a rug for our kitchen to help protect the floor from water and such.  Mainly it's the area between the sink and dishwasher that I'm concerned about.  Turns out though that the size of rug I want is a bit big for standard kitchen rugs, and if I want anything remotely attractive it's going to be quite expensive.



So rather than spending a bunch of money, I'll spend a bunch of my time weaving an experimental rug on a giant piece of cardboard.



Originally I was going to follow this method, but I soon realized I wouldn't have enough fabric to have six strands in each slot, and then more strands to weave between them.  So I changed tactics and went with what seems to be a more traditional method of weaving.  I wrapped the yarn around way too loosely to begin with so I pulled on the strands from the back to tighten them.  I've also ended up littering our floor with tiny strings from the raw fabric edges and Adeline finds every single miniscule thread and tries to eat them.  The rug experiment has since moved to a table so I hopefully won't leave behind anymore strings for our baby to devour.

I've already started over a couple times because I was pulling the strands too tight which was making the rug narrower than I wanted it to be.  I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes!